Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Newfangled Life

Why can't human life be as transient and predictable as the changing seasons and celestial bodies? The answer lies in the complexity of human experience and the unpredictability of the future. Unlike natural phenomena, human life is influenced by numerous factors, both internal and external, that can shape its course in unpredictable ways. Moreover, human beings have the capacity for self-awareness, rational thought, and decision-making, which can greatly impact their lives and the lives of others. Therefore, while human life may be subject to impermanence and change, it is also characterized by a unique and unpredictable quality that sets it apart from the natural world.

In July 2004, while I was working as an apprentice teacher at Uma Community Primary School in Wangdue Phodrang, Bhutan, I was on summer vacation and spending time with my uncle at NRTI, Lobesa. During this time, my aunt was in labor and had gone to Punakha hospital for her delivery. I was feeling unwell and resting at home, so I did not open my aunt's grocery shop at Messina as I usually did during breaks.

At around 5 PM, Aunty returned with a baby girl. Upon her arrival, I quickly went to the bathroom to heat water for the baby's first bath. However, due to my drowsy and dizzy state, I accidentally grabbed hold of a hot iron rod, which made me lose consciousness and left me half-dead.

When I opened my eyes, I found myself in Punakha hospital, which was 15 kilometers away from NRTI. I could feel pain in my hands and stomach. After the accident, I had to take a break from work and focus on my recovery. It was a slow and painful process, but I was determined to regain my health. I underwent several medical checkups and treatments to heal my body, but the effects of the electric shock were not limited to my physical health alone. I started to experience a decline in my cognitive abilities, particularly my memory. It became increasingly difficult for me to retain information and recall it when needed. I often found myself being forgetful and absent-minded, which was not a part of my personality before the accident. This affected my work and personal life to a great extent, and I struggled to keep up with my responsibilities. Despite the challenges, I never gave up and continued to work towards my recovery. Even today, I still struggle with some of the after-effects of the accident, but I am grateful for every moment and try to make the most of my life.
 
I believe that life in the present day is constantly changing and evolving, much like the seasonal plants and flowers or the waxing and waning moon. The fact that we have been given a second chance at life after death is a blessing in disguise, as it allows us to strive to do our best and make the most out of our time on earth, not just for the sake of living, but to prepare ourselves for the inevitable second death.

No comments:

Post a Comment